The MP2637A is a highly-integrated, flexible, switch-mode battery charger with system power path management designed for single-cell Li-ion or Li-polymer batteries for use in a wide range of applications.
The MP2637A can operate in both charge mode and boost mode to allow for full system and battery power management.
When the input power is present, the MP2637A operates in charge mode. The MP2637A detects the battery voltage automatically and charges the battery in three phases: trickle current, constant current, and constant voltage. Other features include charge termination and auto-recharge. The MP2637A also integrates both input current limit and input voltage regulation to manage the input power and meet the system power demand priority.
In the absence of an input source, the MP2637A switches to boost mode through MODE to power the SYS pins from the battery. The OLIM pin programs the output current limit in boost mode. The MP2637A also allows for output short-circuit protection (SCP) to disconnect the battery completely from the load in the event of a short-circuit fault. Normal operation resumes once the short-circuit fault is removed. The MP2637A provides full operating status indication to distinguish charge mode from boost mode.
To guarantee safe operation, the MP2637A limits the die temperature to a preset value of 120°C. Other safety features include input over-voltage protection (OVP), battery over-voltage protection (OVP), thermal shutdown, battery temperature monitoring, and a programmable timer to prevent prolonged charging of a dead battery.
The MP2637A is available in a QFN-24 (4mmx4mm) package.
- Up to 16V Sustainable Input Voltage
- 4.5V to 6V Operating Input Voltage Range
- Power Management Function, Integrated Input Current Limit, Input Voltage Regulation
- Up to 2.5A Programmable Charge Current
- Trickle-Charge Function
- Selectable 4.20V/4.055V Charge Voltage with 0.5% Accuracy
- Negative Temperature Coefficient Pin (NTC) for Battery Temperature Monitoring
- Programmable Timer Back-Up Protection
- Thermal Regulation and Thermal Shutdown
- Internal Battery Reverse Leakage Blocking
- Integrated Over-Voltage Protection (OVP) and Over-Current Protection (OCP) for Pass-Through Path
- Reverse Boost Operation Mode for System Power
- Up to 2.4A Programmable Output Current Limit for Boost Mode
- Integrated Short-Circuit Protection (SCP) and Output Over-Voltage Protection (OVP) for Boost Mode
- Available in a QFN-24 (4mmx4mm) Package
- Operating Vin (min) (V)4.5
- Operating Vin (max) (V)6
- Absolute Vin (max) (V)20
- Vbatt (max) (V)4.2
- Vbatt (min) (V)4.055
- Battery TypeLi-Ion, Li-Polymer
- Iin (max) (A)2.7
- Icharge (max) (A)2.5
- fsw (kHz)620
- Control InterfaceStandalone
- Special FeaturesBatt NTC Monitor, Input Bypass Power Path, Input Current Regulation, Power Bank Output Mode, Thermal Regulation, USB Compatible, USB OTG (Boost Mode), VIN Regulation
- PackageQFN-24 (4x4)
- NTC MonitoringYes
- EN ControlNo
- Charge Status Yes
2.5A Single Cell Switch Mode Battery Charger with Power Path Management (PPM) and 2.4A Boost Current with Trickle Timer
The EV2637A-R-00A is the evaluation board designed to demonstrate the capabilities of MPS’ MP2637A, a highly-integrated, flexible switch-mode battery charge management and system power path management device for a single-cell Li-ion and Li-Polymer battery used in a wide range of portable applications.
EV2637A uses two operating modes—charge mode and boost mode—to allow management of system and battery power based on the state of the input.
When input power is present, the board charges a single-cell battery with a programmable charge current of up to 2.5A.
In the absence of an input source, the board switches to boost mode through the MODE pin to power the SYS pins from the battery with a current of up to 2.1A.
The evaluation board provides full-operatingstatus indicators to distinguish charge mode from boost mode.
To guarantee safe operation, the EV2637A has input-over-voltage protection, battery overvoltage protection, thermal shutdown, batterytemperature monitoring, and a programmable timer to prevent prolonged charging of a dead battery.
$25.00 + tax