I2C-Controlled, Single-Cell Switching Charger with Power-Path Management and 3.6A Boost Output
The MP2696A is a highly integrated, flexible, switch-mode battery-charging, power-path management device designed for a single-cell Li-ion and Li-polymer battery to be used in a wide range of portable applications.
The MP2696A integrates three battery-charging phases: pre-charge, constant-current, and constant-voltage charge. This device also manages the input power source through input current limit regulation and minimum input voltage regulation.
The MP2696A can switch to boost mode to generate the system power output from the battery.
The MP2696A has an integrated IN to SYS pass-through path to pass the input voltage to the system.
Using an I2C interface, the host can flexibly program the charge and boost parameters. The device operating status can also be read in the registers.
Safety features include SYS short-circuit protection, input over-voltage protection, battery under-voltage protection, thermal shutdown, and JEITA battery temperature monitoring.
The MP2696A is available in a QFN-21 (3mmx3mm) package.
- 4.0V to 11V Operation Voltage Range
- Up to 16V Sustainable Input Voltage
- 500mA to 3.6A Programmable Charge Current
- 3.6V to 4.45V Programmable Charge Regulation Voltage with ±0.5% Accuracy
- 100mA to 3A Programmable Input Current Limit with ±10% Accuracy
- Minimum Input Voltage Loop for Maximum Adapter Power Tracking
- Ultra-Low 25μA Battery Discharge Current in Idle Mode
- Boost Converter w/ Up to 3.6A Output Current:
- Programmable Output Current Limit Loop
- Programmable Boost Output Voltage
- USB Output Cable Compensation
- Programmable Inductor Peak Current Limiting
- Comprehensive Safety Features
- Fully-Customizable JEITA Profile with Programmable Temperature Threshold
- Charge Safety Timer
- Input Over-Voltage Protection
- Thermal Shutdown
- SYS Over-Current and Short Protection
- Analog Voltage Output IB Pin for Battery Current Monitoring
- SYS Plug-In Detection
- SYS No Load Detection
- SYS DP/DM Interface for BC1.2 and Non-Standard Adapters
- Status and Fault Monitoring
- Available in a QFN-21 (3mmx3mm) Package
- Operating Vin (min) (V)4
- Operating Vin (max) (V)11
- Absolute Vin (max) (V)16
- Vbatt (max) (V)4.45
- Vbatt (min) (V)3.6
- Battery TypeLi-Ion, Li-Polymer
- Iotg (A)3.6
- Iin (max) (A)3
- Icharge (max) (A)3.6
- Votg (max) (V)5.225
- fsw (kHz)700/1200
- Control InterfaceI2C
- Special FeaturesIntegrated LDO, JEITA Batt NTC Monitor, Power Bank Output Mode, Power Path, USB OTG (Boost Mode), BC1.2 Detection, Cell Under-Voltage Protection
- NTC MonitoringYes
- EN ControlYes
- Charge Status Yes