100A, Highly Integrated, DC-DC Power Module Use Case: Smart Network Interface Cards
Get valuable resources straight to your inbox - sent out once per month
We value your privacy
In this use case, we’ll consider the application of fully integrated DC-DC power modules in smart network interface cards.
Due to its ability to combine outputs flexibly, the MPM82504 allows tremendous versatility, given its ability to handle multiple large current rails so prevalent in these types of systems.
Smart network interface cards need a sophisticated power tree for a processor based design that will minimize size and maximize efficiency. This power tree has one large (50A+ ~) rail for core power, a 10A rail for memory, and several smaller POL rails. There is significant competition to provide power management solutions for these systems, as well as different methods such as DRmos (Driver-Mos) and multiphase controllers, or modules, and even discrete designs.
MPS’ MPM82504 is a quad 25A, scalable and fully integrated DC-DC power module with a PMBus interface. The MPM82504 offers a complete power solution that achieves up to 25A per output channel. Four output channels can be connected in parallel to provide 50A, 75A, or 100A output current. This solution can be used for both the primary core rail and memory (or other large) rail in smart edge security networks power tree, using additional module solutions, like the MPM3650, MPM3833C and MPM3860 (or others depending on current draw) for the balance. Due to its ability to combine outputs flexibly, the MPM82504 allows tremendous versatility, given its ability to handle multiple large current rails so prevalent in these types of systems. This provides tremendous space savings as competitive solutions will require more components to achieve this result.
- 3.2V-16V Input Voltage Range with External 3.3V VCC Bias
- 4V-16V Input Voltage Range with Internal VCC Bias
- 0.5V to 3.3V Output Voltage Range
- Four Parallel able Output Channels with Up to 25A per Channel
- Auto-Interleaving for Multi-Phase Operation
- Individual Remote Sense for Each Channel
- PMBus 1.3 Compliant
- Telemetry Read-Back including VIN, VOUT, IOUT, Temperature, and Faults for Each Channel
- Programmable via PMBus for Each Channel
- OC/OT/OV/UV/UVLO Limits
- PWM Mode and Switching Frequency
- Available in BGA (15mmx30mmx5.2mm)