500mA, I2C-Controlled Battery Charger with Power Path Management for Single-Cell Li-Ion Battery
The MP2661 is a highly integrated, single-cell, Li-Ion/Li-Polymer battery charger with system power path management for space-limited, portable applications. The MP2661 uses input power from either an AC adapter or a USB port to supply the system load and charge the battery independently. The charger features trickle charge, constant current (CC) and constant voltage (CV) regulation, charge termination, and charge status.
The power path management function ensures continuous power to the system by automatically selecting the input, the battery, or both to power the system. This power stage features a low dropout regulator from the input to the system and a 100mΩ switch from the battery to the system. Power path management separates the charging current from the system load, which allows for proper charge termination and keeps the battery in full-charge mode.
The MP2661 provides system short-circuit protection (SCP) by limiting the current from the input to the system and the battery to the system. This feature is especially critical to prevent the Li-Ion battery from being damaged by excessively high currents. An on-chip battery under-voltage lockout (UVLO) cuts off the path between the battery and the system if the battery voltage drops below the programmable battery UVLO threshold, which prevents the Li-Ion battery from being over-discharged. An integrated I2C control interface allows the MP2661 to program the charging parameters, such as input current limit, input voltage regulation limit, charging current, battery regulation voltage, safety timer, and battery UVLO.
The MP2661 is available in a 9-pin 1.55mmx1.55mm WCSP package.
- Fully Autonomous Charger for Single-Cell Li Ion/Li-Polymer Batteries
- Complete Power Path Management for Simultaneously Powering the System and Charging the Battery
- ±0.5% Charging Voltage Accuracy
- 12V Maximum Voltage for the Input Source
- I2C Interface for Setting Charging Parameters and Status Reporting
- Fully Integrated Power Switches and No External Blocking Diode Required
- Built-In Robust Charging Protection Including Battery Temperature Monitoring and Programmable Timer
- PCB Over-Temperature Protection (OTP)
- System Reset Function
- Built-In Battery Disconnection Function
- Thermal Limiting Regulation On-Chip
- Available in a WCSP-9 (1.55mmx1.55mm) Package
- Icharge (max) (A)0.5
- Vbatt (max) (V)4.545
- Operating Vin (max) (V)5.85
- Absolute Vin (max) (V)13
- Vbatt (min) (V)3.6
- NTC MonitoringYes
- Operating Vin (min) (V)4
- Special FeaturesBattery OCP, Battery UVP, Batt NTC Monitor, Input Current Regulation, Narrow Voltage Power Path, One-Time Programmable Memory, Shipping Mode, Thermal Regulation, USB Compatible, VIN Regulation
- Charge typeCC/CV Linear
- Charge TerminationLDO Mode
- Battery TypeLi-Ion, Li-Polymer
- Control InterfaceI2C
- Trickle ChargeNo
- Charge Status Yes
- Power PathYes
- USB ModeYes
- PackageWLCSP-9 (1.55x1.55)
Evaluation Board of 500mA Linear Charger with PPM for Single Cell Li-Ion Battery
The EV2661-C-00A is an evaluation board for the MP2661, a highly-integrated single-cell Li-Ion/Li-Polymer battery charger with system power path management, targeted at space limited portable applications. It takes input power from either an AC adapter or a USB port to supply the system load and charge the battery independently. The charger section features trickle charge, constant current (CC) and constant voltage (CV) regulation, charge termination and charge status.
EV2661 ensures the continuous power to the system by automatically selecting the input, the battery or both to power the system.
EV2661 provides system short circuit protection to prevent the Li-Ion battery from being damaged due to excessive high current.
EV2661 cuts off the path between battery and system when battery UVLO to prevent the Li-Ion battery from being overly discharged.
Through the I2C connector on EV2661, the customer can program the charging parameters, such as: input current limit, input voltage regulation limit, charging current, battery regulation voltage, and battery UVLO.
US$ 25.00 + tax